QUEEN CREEK ORAL EXAMS & CLEANINGS
What Are Oral Exam & Cleanings?
When you come in for your appointment, our hygienist will clean all of your teeth by scraping the plaque and tartar off with a metal tool. Then the hygienist will floss and polish your teeth and apply fluoride. Fluoride is a mineral that strengthens your teeth and helps protect them from decay. Our dentist will then perform the dental exam. Your teeth and gums will be examined for signs of cavities, gum disease, and other oral health problems. Our dentist may decide to take X-rays to get a closer, more thorough look at your smile. If any problems are found, our dentist will go over your treatment options with you, making sure that you understand all that is involved. Together, you will form a treatment plan.
COMPREHENSIVE DENTAL EXAMS & PROFESSIONAL CLEANINGS
How Do Oral Exam & Cleanings Work?
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by your dentist at your initial dental visit. At regular check-up exams, your dentist and hygienist will perform the following:
- Examination of diagnostic X-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis) are usually performed by Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
Our Other Services
Frequently Asked Questions
What Our Patients Say
My experience at Alexander Family Dental was excellent! I recommend this practice to anyone who is looking for a knowledgeable, helpful & friendly staff. I was seen in a timely manner which I definitely appreciated! Dr. Alexander was thorough in her explanation of my treatment and I was very happy with the completed work! No more searching for me….I finally found a dentist that knows what she’s doing & I can trust!!!
I have had Dr Alexander for several years and have followed her to her new location. The place is clean and beautiful. Her staff are great, and very helpful. As far as Dr A there is non better.
I wish there was a way to give 6 stars. I just cannot say enough good things about Dr. Alexander and the staff at the office. They all are so very sweet and knowledgable, my kids from day 1 have never been nervous about going to the dentist and I trust this office 100% with anyone and everyone I send over!
Dr. Alexander and the staff are amazing. We bring our whole family in and everyone in the office is absolutely wonderful. She’s helped me with my Invisalign and has taken care of our kids for the last serval years!
One of the best visits ever! Efficient cleaning with no pain! Fabulous staff that’s so helpful – especially with insurance questions. Highly recommend Dr. Alexander and her office for a great dental experience.